Friday, February 14, 2014

The Tone

Hey everyone! Happy Valentine's Day!

Sorry I missed last friday. Certain circumstances distracted me from my computer.

Today, we will be talking about the use of tone in writing a song. Tone is one of the most important aspects of song writing. Tone creates a certain level of empathy between the audience and the artist. Empathy is what keeps the audience replaying the song, because they feel like the song is about them or can just relate to the song.

A song that I believe accomplishes the very well is Kiss From a Rose by Seal. But not just any version; the Straight No Chaser A Cappella version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojAeWCP6q0

What this version does is take the already excellent tone of the original and put it into a more emotional a cappella version, which in my opinion makes it ten times better. The shifts in tone from sorrow and longing to passionate and longing is amazing, and is something I might want to replicate in my song. Adding tone shifts increased complexity, something which all great songs have (such as Bohemian Rhapsody and American Pie).

No comments:

Post a Comment